- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup liquid-state coconut oil (canola or vegetable may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cup sour cream (lite is okay; or Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 3/4 cup grated carrots (about 1 large peeled and trimmed carrot)
- 3/4 cup grated apples (I used 1 medium unpeeled Fuji; try Gala, Honeycrisp or similar)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray one 9×5-inch loaf pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside. (I haven’t tried the recipe in an 8×4-inch pan and cannot comment on how long it will take to bake, but use an 8×4 pan if you prefer a taller loaf.)
- In a large bowl, add the the first eight ingredients, through nutmeg, and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, optional salt, and fold with spatula or stir gently with a spoon until just combined; don’t overmix.
- Add the carrots, apples, and fold gently to combine.
- Turn batter (it’s very thick, this is what you want) out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula..
Source: Carrot Apple Bread