- 8 ears fresh sweet yellow corn , husked and silks removed and kernels cut from cob
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 5 slices bacon , cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 - 3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Shredded cheddar cheese , for serving (optional)
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened and just starting to brown around edges, about 8 - 10 minutes. Add in the flour and garlic and cook 1 1/2 minutes. While whisking, slowly pour in 5 cups water.
Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then stir in corn kernels and potatoes. Add in thyme and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove bay leave then transfer 2 1/2 cups of the chowder to a blender and blend until smooth. Stir the mixture back into the pot then stir in half and half and honey. Sprinkle each serving with chives and optional cheddar.
Recipe source: adapted from Cooks Illustrated via Tracy's Culinary Adventures