1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs (room temperature)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
Cookie Notti Buttercream:
5 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (cubed, room temperature)
1/2 cup Penotti Smooth Cookie Notti Spread
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
Penotti Crunchy Cookie Notti Spread
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour three 6" cake rounds, line with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat on med-high until pale and fluffy (2-3mins).
- Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour (3 additions of flour and 2 of buttermilk). Fully incorporating after each addition. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pans. Smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for approx. 25-30mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Place cakes on wire rack to cool for 10mins then turn out onto wire rack.
9. Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.*
10. Place bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot and no longer grainy to the touch (approx. 3mins)
11. Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10mins))
12. Switch to paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth. Add Cookie Notti spread and mix until smooth.**
13. Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread a thin layer of Crunchy Cookie Notti on the cake. Top with 2/3 cup of frosting and spread evenly. Repeat with remaining layers and apply a thin coat of frosting all over the cake. Chill for 20mins.
14. Frost and smooth the sides. Decorate with rosettes and crushed Speculoos cookies if desired.
Recipe Type: Cake
* Ensure there is NO trace of egg yolks in your whites and that your mixer bowl and whisk is completely grease free or your meringue won't stiffen.
** The buttercream may look like it's curdled at some point. Keep mixing until it is completely smooth.
Penotti products can be found in various grocery stores across Canada including Loblaws, Sobeys, Metro, Thrifty Foods, Shoppers Drug Mart, London Drugs, Buy Low Market, H.Y. Louie, Co-Op, Walmart and Whole Foods.